Gardening is a great recreational activity that many people like to indulge in as a hobby and passion. Planting different plants in the garden or in a pot at home is a fun way to unwind on a weekend and can be done with friends and family. But in the modern world, many people don’t have the time to spare for undertaking gardening activities. But they would still like to plant a sapling or add some greenery to their home. Also, plants can be high maintenance and not everyone can do weeding, fertilizing, and watering the plants on a regular basis. For such people, a terrarium is a perfect option to add a little green to their homes.
What is a terrarium?
A terrarium is a transparent container typically made of glass, having small plants and some soil. A terrarium can be sealed or open and is basically like an ecosystem that can sustain itself, in a jar. A terrarium has an opening that is big enough for a person to access the plants kept inside.
A Terrarium Workshop Singapore can be the perfect way of adding greenery to your space. It does not take up a lot of space in your home and also is easy to maintain. It also makes for a good addition to your home decor and it is nice to plant plants around the house to make you feel one with nature.
Things you need for a terrarium:
- Any transparent container, like a jar, a glass bowl, or an aquarium tank.
- Soil and pebbles of your choice.
- Some low-maintenance plants, like succulents, mosses, and ferns.
How can you build a terrarium?
You can attend a terrarium workshop and learn how to make one from the gardening professionals themselves. You can also look up video tutorials online and find blog posts that will walk you through the steps of building a terrarium. You can build your own terrarium in a few easy steps.
Steps of building a terrarium as taught in a terrarium workshop:
- Choose a container: A terrarium is a transparent container that has a big opening in it so you can water the plants regularly, so pick a glass container of your liking depending on the size you want.
- Build the base: The base of a terrarium is pebbles and the soil in which the plants will grow. Start by laying down some pebbles and putting a thick layer of soil on top of it. Make sure to put a layer at least an inch or two thick.
- Start planting: This is the essence of building a terrarium. There are many plants available but not all of them are good for a terrarium. Get plants that are easy to maintain and that grow well in an indoor setting. Succulents, mosses, and ferns are some of the best picks for a terrarium. Start by removing the plants from their container and remove the extra soil from the roots. Make small holes in the terrarium soil and plant in them.